Sullivan High School Local School Council
August 21, 2019 – 9:30 a.m. Social Room
I. Call Meeting to Order
The meeting was called to order at 10:48, when a quorum was present. Items not requiring a vote were discussed prior to that time.
II. Roll Call
Attending: Mr. Adams, Mr. Berrol, Ms. Chrisp (by phone), Mr. Clark, Ms. Evins, Ms. Hart, Ms. Mosak.
III. Approve Agenda
The agenda (attached) was approved as amended, moving the uniform dress code item later in the meeting to allow the dean of students to participate.
IV. Approve Previous Minutes: July
The July minutes were approved.
V. Principal’s Report
- Principal Evaluation – The evaluation is complete but needs to be entered online. Mr. Adams/Mr. Berrol will follow up.
- LSC Organizational Meeting to elect new roles for SY20 – Follow CPS Guidelines Documents and sign in sheet at conclusion. Ms. Chrisp will be the new LSC chair. Community representative Ms. Shuffleton will be stepping down this fall. A candidate to replace her has been identified.
- Participatory Budget Project – 10th Grade Students Presentation – 10th Grade Lead Teacher Ms. Heller described the project, which involved working closely with the Great Cities Institute at UIC. The student-driven process involved research, proposals, budgets, talks with stakeholders and presentations to chose a project for improving the school, funded at $11,000. The project selected was repairing/updating bathrooms.
- Attendance Initiative – The student who was to present the Student Idea for Next Year has graduated, and instead Mr. Berrol spoke about the idea, which was to improve attendance by providing bus passes to students who live far from the school. Ways to fund passes may be considered at the next meeting. Also, Mr. Clark will get information on using Ventra cards as student IDs.
- Academic Updates – Sullivan has been awarded $100,000 for personalized learning, which is expected to be recurring each year. Specific items as to how the funds will be spent will be discussed at the next meeting.
- Athletics – The girl’s volleyball net is up.
- Arts and Activities – Friends of Sullivan will host the Newcomer Thanksgiving Event on Nov. 19.
- Other Updates – CPS has approved funds for roof repair, a purchase order has been generated to repair leaks, then the new floor for the gym can be done. There will also be new scoreboards, bleachers, and painting, and alumni want to buy banners. The Track Record board will be ordered.
VI. New Business
- Sullivan Student Fees: The proposed fee for this year is $200. A distribution sheet was distributed (attached). All families that pay fees by Sept. 30th will receive a Sullivan shirt. Mr. Adams proposed that $50 of student each student fee be earmarked to support the school clinic, specifically social services. A packet of materials documenting clinic services was distributed (attached). In Year 5 there were 908 behavioral visits and 857 risk assessments. Also discussed were funds for the Student Voice Committee and technology. There was a unanimous vote to approve requested earmarks from student fees for the clinic, as well as 5% for the Student Voice Committee and 20% for technology.
- Student Voice Committee: A proposed Student Dress Code was presented (attached). The proposal was discussed and revisions were recommended with regard to removing specific language. There was a unanimous vote to approve the main points of the Code, pending removal of the language in question.
- Athletic Fees: A proposal will be made at the next meeting for a way to fund athletics more consistently.
- Capital Improvement Hearing: August 21st 5 p.m. registration, 6-8 p.m. Amundsen H.S.
- Student Orientation: August 22nd 9-11 Freshmen, 11-12:30 – 10th, 11th and 12th graders.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:35 p.m.