Roger C. Sullivan High School Local School Council
June 11, 2020 — 10:00 a.m. Google Hangout
Family • Integrity • Service • Tenacity
I. Call Meeting to Order
The meeting was called to order at 10:12 a.m.
II. Roll Call
Mr. Thomas, Ms. Akinpelu, Mr. Berrol, Ms. Chrisp, Ms. Evins, Mr. Gonzalez, Ms. Llorens, Ms. Mosak.
A quorum was present.
III. Approve Agenda
The agenda was approved unanimously.
IV. Approve Previous Minutes: May 15, 2020 Meeting
Minutes of the May 15,2020 were approved unanimously.
V. Principal’s Report
State of the School
Update on CPS, Sullivan
- Operations: $24,999 previously budgeted for the counseling suite build-out has been paid by CPS and will not have to come out of the school budget.
- Remote Learning: “Grades with empathy” (taking into account the strike, pandemic and social unrest) are due June 15.
- LSC Opening: More parents are needed.
- Testing, Athletics, Arts and Activities: Cancelled.
- Friends of Sullivan: A $1,500 scholarship was awarded to Randy Young.
- Graduation: Graduation will be virtual, pre-recorded. Alderwoman Maria Hadden will be the keynote speaker. Diploma pick-up will be drive-up/walk-up June 17.
VI. New Business
Senior 12th Grade School Fees Waiver
- The proposal to waive the $200 per student senior year fee (total $40,000) was unanimously approved.
Chicago Police in Sullivan High School
There was discussion of the continuing role of police officers in the school in light of community concerns. All LSC members with experience with officers were extremely positive and appreciative, and want them to continue. There was also concern expressed about vulnerable populations in the school. A poll of members found all but two expressing support for continuing the current SRO arrangement.
There was agreement on the following steps:
- A statement from the LSC reflecting appreciation for Sullivan’s individual officers while acknowledging larger issues of policing in schools will be posted on the website (Ms. Mosak will draft).
- Students and staff will be polled over the summer (Mr. Thomas will organize).
- A townhall or other ongoing opportunities for discusion with the broader community will be explored (Mr. Gonzalez and Ms. Evins will organize).
- C.I.W.P.-MTSS, Structure for Continous Improvement and Family and Community Engagement
Work on these documents continues.
VIII. Public Comments
- The PAC is considering how to spend funds by August 31: supplies and PD for parents on virtual learning.
The LSC organizational meeting was set for July 14 at 10:00 a.m.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:12 p.m.
Esther Mosak, Secretary