Loyola University and Sullivan HS through the Community School Initiative are continuing summer programming through the month of July virtually on Google Meet. Programs meet Monday through Thursday between the hours of 9AM – 2PM. The pandemic that is taking a toll on our country does not stop the positive energy and efforts we are putting forth for our Tigers!
Currently there are 5 amazing virtual programmings happening for Sullivan students and it’s not too late to join any of the 5 programs if there are students interested in keeping their minds fresh over the summer.
- Health & Wellness with Mr. Clark – The health & wellness program focuses on the necessary approach students athletes should have during this new normal of society. Not only does Mr. Clark conducts at home workouts but he also leads group discussions on various topics on nutrition, exercise, the importance of rest, time management and more. Mr. Clark’s Health & Wellness meets on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays beginning at 11AM.
- Conversation Club with Ms. Spencer & Mr. Zepeda – This social experiment is taking the lead on discussions that are very important and necessary for our students to have with each other. Ms. Spencer & Mr. Zepeda provide a safe space for students to express their voice and their minds on various subject matters that are student generated. Centering students’ voices is at the core of creating imaginative and empowered young people and this is a move forward in social justice. Conversation Club meets every Monday & Thursday beginning at 12:30PM.
- Cooking Club with Ms. Kordek – This is a virtual cooking club with Ms. Kordek on Thursdays from 11AM-1PM. Students are learning the importance of nutrition, how to create recipes they can explore at home and cooking meals together with Ms. Kordek.
- Music Club with Mr. Dimas – This club is for students who appreciate and love music. Mr. Dimas and a group of musical lovers are diving into topics of music appreciation and theory. Our students also develop their skill sets on instruments and learn how to play other instruments to bring out the best music.
- Pretty Brown Girls with Ms. Hart, Ms. Moore & Ms. Evins – This group of growing young ladies meet Monday-Thursday at 10AM to have “girl talks.” Discussions and conversations between Sullivan girls of color regarding life skills and mental health through the pandemic. Ms. Hart, Ms. Moore and Ms. Evins are great mentors for young ladies who are learning better ways to express themselves, make concrete goals, develop their mental health and be more prepared for the new normal.
As the Resource Coordinator through Loyola University at Sullivan HS, I am more than happy to help students register for any program they are insisted in! I am always available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to talk with anyone in our Sullivan family. Stay tuned for more exciting updates with our summer virtual programs!
Stay safe and healthy!
Jordan Johnson, Resource Coordinator